Monday, November 22, 2010

LYNN: Michelle Rhee Wants Our Opinion

A week or two ago I signed up to get the latest news on outgoing DC Schools Chancellor, Michelle Rhee. She has started a new website/blog with the apparent goal of keeping a visible profile until she figures out what to do next with her life.

Today, I received an email from Michelle. Of course, I was honored.  So what does Michelle have to say to her followers? The theme of her emails seems to be -- let's share ideas. She says:

"Trust me, I'm no stranger to the challenges we face, and I know how hard real reform is going to be. But the reality is, too many children in America today are getting a really crappy education."

"Allowing the status quo to continue means condemning millions of children every year to substandard lives. That doesn't have to happen. Morally, economically, logically -- from every perspective -- it shouldn't be allowed to happen."

I've visited her website, and so far, I am not impressed. I really wanted to be impressed. Michelle showed a great deal of chutzpa as the DC head. Her wishy washy attitude on her website feels like a real step backwards, as if she has lost her nerve. Maybe it's an image consultant that is behind the site. Her fierce outrage at the system is gone. Her confidence seems to be shaken. What to make of this?

I'm thinking it may be time to mourn the passing of an outstanding education advocate. I can't say I would blame her. The system of education is so massively immovable, that she wouldn't be the first to give up in frustration.

Here is a link, where you can send your own suggestions to Michelle on how to reform the American education system. First thought on that subject? Dissolve all schools of education.

Michelle Rhee

No comments:

Post a Comment